Terms and Conditions
CHAIYA ART AWARDS 2019/2020
Selected artists will be eligible for the following awards:
- Chaiya Art Prize £10,000
- Public Choice Award £1,000
- Further awards maybe announced
The judging panel will select winners for award/s once the exhibition has been installed and these will be announced/presented on the opening night. The Public Choice award will be announced in the final week of the exhibition, as voted for by the visiting public.
- Artists must be UK residents and aged 16 years or over as of January 31st 2020.
- Community entries are accepted from any UK based registered group; community art group, charity, church, faith based groups, prison or college and there is no age or residency criteria.
- The submission fee for art work is non-refundable.
- Maximum amount of submissions allowed is 3 entries.
- The cost of entry is:
Early Bird Entry Fee (till 18 July 2019) Standard Entry Fee
1 entry £15.00 1 entry £20.00
2 entries £25.00 2 entries £35.00
3 entries £35.00 3 entries £50.00
Concessions £10 per entry
Concession entry forms are only for those on unemployment or disability benefits who wish to take advantage of this. Please note if selected for shortlist we will ask for proof of eligibility for concessions. Examples of eligible documents include:
Unemployed: In receipt of income support OR Disabled: blue badge
- If you wish to take advantage of the early bird fee, but are not ready with your artwork,
you can submit a temporary artwork image/s and description, which you have until the deadline 18 October 2019 to change. After this date no substitutions will be accepted. Please mark the title of the work ‘DRAFT – followed by the artwork name’.
When you submit the finished piece, remove ‘Draft’ from the title.
- No late submissions will be accepted after MIDNIGHT on Friday 18 October 2019.
We are offering a 100 FREE copies of the £15 hardback book which accompanied the 2018 Chaiya Art Awards, featuring over 60+ artists. If you wish to take advantage of this, please choose the EB + free book entry for the number of entries you require. You will receive ONE free book and you will pay only for the post and packaging of £3.59 of the book. For full details on book on visit ‘book’ page on Chaiya website.
ONLINE ARTWORK SUBMISSION
- Accepted media include but are not limited to: paintings, drawings, original prints, sculpture, photography, video, digitally produced artwork, mixed media, textiles, ceramics, glass and installations.
- Performance art is not accepted in this competition.
- Entries can only be submitted using the online form
- Each work submitted constitutes a separate entry.
- A separate entry form must be completed for all work entered.
- You have 200 words on the entry form to describe your artwork and/or your inspiration. Please do not include a CV or personal information in this section as it will not be presented to the selectors.
- Entries must not have been previously exhibited in any juried exhibition.
- Entries must be the original, unaided work of the entrant, except where work is a collaboration. In such cases the piece must be jointly entered in the name of all participants and any prize will be divided equally among them.
- If you use another person’s original work to create your work, you must have his or her written permission to do so.
- Community entries are accepted from any UK-based registered community group, ie art group, WI groups, charities, church, faith based groups, prison or college and should be entered in the name of the group and any prize will be awarded to the named group.
- Only submit work online that will be available to deliver and collect from venue on dates listed under Exhibition Details
- Any submissions considered a conservation, health and safety risk, or likely to cause public offence will not be accepted
- By entering the competition you are confirming that you have read these Terms and Conditions and abide by the rules.
- 2D – You are allowed to submit 1 image per entry in jpg format up to 2MB in size
- 3D – You are allowed to submit up to 2 images per entry.
- For video, provide a link to the work via Vimeo or YouTube, and also submit a high quality still image from the video.
- For Images use JPG format up to 2MB in size. Poorly presented images, especially those that are out of focus, badly lit or pixelated will affect your chances of success. It is advisable to set your work against a plain background, and don’t use filters or edit your image using software such as Photoshop, beyond the basic re-sizing of your image for online submission.
- These images may be used for publicity and social media so quality is very important.
- ALL Work must fit through gallery@oxo door: width 110cm max, height 215cm max
- Work should not exceed 1.8M in width.
2-Dimensional Artwork Criteria
- Work must be securely framed, mounted only with mirror plates and ready to hang.
- A stretched canvas or panel may be considered framed.
- If submitting with frame, please include frame in overall size in online submission form.
- Multiple panel work is considered a single entry. Combined panels must meet the size specification above.
- Work must be completely dry.
- Multiple panel work is considered a single entry if it is for sale as a single piece. If single panels are available separately, they are classed as separate pieces and each piece will require a separate entry form and fee.
- Original prints must be unique, or numbered in an edition (not more than 50).
- A painting done from a photograph not taken by the artist, or borrowed from a book, newspaper, magazine, image of another photographer or artist, can be considered original only if the artist has changed the image to such a degree that it is not recognizable and thus has become original.
3-Dimensional Artwork Criteria
- Weight of work must also be indicated on the entry form.
- Castworks or 3-D sculpture must be unique, or numbered in an edition (not more than 12).
- Artworks comprising live organic matter such as cut flowers and foliage and/or food stuffs, will not be permitted in the galleries under any circumstances.
- Work must be installation ready (if plinth is needed, it must be provided by the artist).
- Work must be capable of installation by Chaiya Art Award volunteer staff and complete instructions provided as necessary.
- Videos must not be longer than 5 mins in length.
- For video, provide a link to the work via Vimeo or YouTube, and also submit a high quality still image from the video.
- Entries with sound are welcome but the entrant must own the copyright to the sound used. If the sound is created by another individual, permission must be granted and credit given.
- Entrant’s submission must not infringe the copyrights (and related rights), trademarks, design rights, or any other intellectual property rights of any third person or entity, or violate any person’s rights of privacy or breach the contract rights of any third party. Written permission must be obtained and provided upon request for all copyrighted materials and credit given.
- Entrants work should not include third parties, including but not limited to minors, celebrities and friends who have not expressly authorized Entrants to display their image, likeness or voice in any submitted video or otherwise use such image, likeness or voice in accordance with these Official Rules.
- Entrant’s submission must not contain any infringing, threatening, false, misleading, abusive, harassing, defamatory, pornographic, obscene, scandalous, inflammatory, or profane content.
- Entrant’s submission must not contain any material that could constitute or encourage conduct which would be considered a criminal offence, give rise to civil liability, or otherwise offend against any other law.
- The entrant shall indemnify and hold the Chaiya Art Awards harmless against all and any claims, demands, loss, damages, liability and costs (including reasonable legal expenses) that the Organiser suffers or incurs as a result of, or in connection with, any breach by the entrant of the warranties in clauses above.
PRE-SELECTION & ADJUDICATION
- An independent jury will anonymously pre-select shortlisted entries from digital images and video links submitted.
- All work will be judged on Theme Interpretation, Originality and Technique and Emotional Impact.
- Entries must meet the Conditions of Entry.
- Work that does not meet the requirements will not be adjudicated.
- We reserve the right to reject applications of work that are deemed unsuitable for exhibition, be it explicit or antagonising, at our discretion.
- Inclusion in the exhibition is at the sole discretion of the organisers and their decision is final.
- Winners of the prizes will be decided by the judging panel and their decision is final.
- Due to the expected volume of submissions, unfortunately we are unable to offer specific feedback on individual entries, so no correspondence will be entered into.
- All longlisted and shortlisted entries will be listed on the website.
- By entering the competition, entrants allow CHAIYA ART AWARDS to reproduce their work by print and electronic media and on our website and for the purpose of advertising and promoting the CHAIYA ART AWARDS.
EXHIBITION DETAILS – If shortlisted
gallery@OXO, 204 Oxo Tower Wharf, Bargehouse St, South Bank, London SE1 9PH
Tues 7 April 2020 – All selected artwork MUST BE delivered to the venue between 10am-6pm
Fri 10 April 2020 – Exhibition Opens to the public
Sun 19 April 2020 – Exhibition closes (artwork can be collected from 4-8pm)
Mon 20 April 2020 – All exhibited artwork MUST BE collected latest from the venue between 11-6pm
(all uncollected work will be disposed of, there are no storage facilities)
DELIVERY, INSTALL & COLLECTION
- All artists are responsible for delivering and collecting their artwork on the set delivery and collection days, at agreed times, no alternative dates or times will be acceptable.
- Substitutions will not be permitted.
- Work must be available for display during the entire period of the show.
- Work may not be removed from the exhibition before Sunday 19 April 2020.
- Your work should, if possible, be submitted in a stiffy bag (see www.stiffybag.com) or other protective packaging with a clear label on both the packaging and the artwork with the following: Artist Name, Artwork Name, Chaiya Art Awards 2020.
- 2D Framed, wall-hung work MUST be provided with mirror plates attached half way down each vertical side. The ideal size of mirror plate is 30mm x 30mm. Framed work cannot be accepted without mirror plates.
- For 3D work/sculpture requiring plinths – artists need to provide the plinths. There are no plinths available at the gallery.
- For video work, an mp4 format must be provided, files will be uploaded by the organisers to a media card and shown on a continuous loop.
- We also reserve the right to safeguard the artwork from damage and to protect the public through use of barriers or secure fixings.
- You accept liability for your own work and you will be responsible for taking out insurance, if you wish to do so. This liability begins from the point at which you deliver the work, to collecting the work. The greatest care will be taken by the organisers whilst transporting, setting up and striking the exhibition. However, the organisers do not take liability for any loss/damage to work whilst it is in their care.
- We would like to promote all artists work, and would encourage artists to make their work available for sale at a sensible and affordable market price.
- If you submit a framed work you must sell the work framed as exhibited.
- Chaiya Art Awards commission is 30% if a work is sold during the exhibition or afterwards or as a result of the exhibition. The Organisers will take payment from the buyer of the artwork and will pay you (minus the 30% commission on total sale price) within 30 days of the artwork being in possession of the buyer and receipt from the buyer of the proceeds of sale whichever is the later.
- If the artwork is not collected from the exhibition by the buyer, the artist is responsible for arranging delivery to the buyer and associated costs.
- When filling in the online submission form please note that the name you provide will be printed in the exhibition catalogue. If you have an ‘artist name’ that is different to the name on your form, please let the organisers before 31 January 2020.
- Where possible your work will be included in the accompanying book, you agree to us editing your description of your work as needed and for providing us with an additional image of your work if required. Any photographic credits must be given to the organisers before 31 January 2020, after this date they cannot be added into the book.
- Artists agree to be placed on the Chaiya Art Awards mailing lists for email correspondence and any other information that we may send you and grant full permission in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulations. You can unsubscribe at any time using the same email address.
By entering the competition, you are agreeing to abide by all the terms and conditions.